Relatives have gathered in a tiny Irish village to remember those who died in the Titanic disaster.
Lahardane, in the parish of Addergoole, lost 11 of its own when the luxury liner went down 100 years ago.
It has become known as Ireland’s “Titanic village.”
“I’m honoured to remember my aunt,” said Davey Donoghue, nephew of one of the victims.
“With the passing of time it becomes easier to speak of the tragedy and the effect it had on the family.”
A memorial ceremony was also held aboard a cruise ship, which travelled from America to the site of the sinking in the North Atlantic.
It was joined alongside by another liner, which had set off from Southampton.
There was a two minute silence to mark the centenary, and the names of those who perished were read aloud.
The Titanic went down in April 1912 after striking an iceberg.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:03 CET Norway’s minority government tries to shore up fragile alliance
- 13:00 CET Three dead as Kiev accuses Ukraine rebels of shelling
- 12:50 CET U.N.-Cambodia tribunal charges two more ex-Khmer Rouge cadres
- 12:45 CET Magnitude 6.4 quake strikes off Indonesia, no reports of damage
- 12:27 CET Rival to Burundi’s president escapes from jail – ministry
- 12:15 CET Tanzania president pledges crackdown on albino killings
- 11:45 CET Volcano Villarrica erupts in southern Chile, villages evacuated
- 11:39 CET Russia ready to consider discount on gas price for Ukraine in…