North Korea’s new leader Kim Jong-un has delivered his first major public speech. He spoke for 20 minutes, the first time a North Korean leader has made a major public set-piece address.
Despite a failed rocket-launch just two days earlier, Kim Jong-un urged tens of thousands in the crowd to ‘move towards final victory.’
America’s ABC network correspondent Bob Woodruff is in Pyongyang for euronews.
“Kim Jong-un is going be more open and public than his father was,” Woodruff told us.
“And in terms of the topic, the content, what he’s talking about, (he) is very similar to his father. The kind of facts that they’ve talked about for all these years, that’s not really different. But the fact that he talked for 20 minutes, compared to one sentence of his father all those years ago (is different). The other news, of course, here is this failed rocket launch. This time, they decided they would actually make this public, and it was several hours after this rocket went down, but they did say it. This never happened before with Kim Jong-il.”
Kim Jong-un is the third of his dynasty to rule the impoverished nation which is celebrating the centenary of his grandfather’s birth.
His late father’s nuclear ambitions alarmed many other countries. Spy satellite images suggest North Korea is now planning a third nuclear test.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Channel Tunnel: one dies, COBRA meets in London
Syria: counting the humanitarian cost
USA: Israeli spy Pollard to be released after 30 years in jail
Outrage after Zimbabwe’s Cecil the lion is killed by an American dentist
Ukraine bans French actor Gerard Depardieu over support for Crimea annexation
Wires > News
- 10:57 CET Saudi soldier killed in shooting in eastern district – SPA
- 10:51 CET Poland’s richest man, Jan Kulczyk, dies at 65
- 09:50 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 09:38 CET Merkel’s Bavarian ally says Grexit would cause ‘utter chaos’
- 09:03 CET Chinese airport closed after arson attack aboard plane
- 08:43 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 08:11 CET Pakistan police say kill leader of banned sectarian group
- 07:45 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy