North Korea’s new leader Kim Jong-un has delivered his first major public speech. He spoke for 20 minutes, the first time a North Korean leader has made a major public set-piece address.
Despite a failed rocket-launch just two days earlier, Kim Jong-un urged tens of thousands in the crowd to ‘move towards final victory.’
America’s ABC network correspondent Bob Woodruff is in Pyongyang for euronews.
“Kim Jong-un is going be more open and public than his father was,” Woodruff told us.
“And in terms of the topic, the content, what he’s talking about, (he) is very similar to his father. The kind of facts that they’ve talked about for all these years, that’s not really different. But the fact that he talked for 20 minutes, compared to one sentence of his father all those years ago (is different). The other news, of course, here is this failed rocket launch. This time, they decided they would actually make this public, and it was several hours after this rocket went down, but they did say it. This never happened before with Kim Jong-il.”
Kim Jong-un is the third of his dynasty to rule the impoverished nation which is celebrating the centenary of his grandfather’s birth.
His late father’s nuclear ambitions alarmed many other countries. Spy satellite images suggest North Korea is now planning a third nuclear test.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 12:20 CET France refuses asylum request by Wikileaks founder Assange
- 12:04 CET China angered by new U.S. military strategy report
- 11:54 CET Danish government plans to cut refugee benefits to slow migrant…
- 11:43 CET German foreign minister urges quick clarification of reports on…
- 11:32 CET Israel accuses Hamas of aiding Islamic State in Egypt
- 11:19 CET No breakthrough in talks between Iran and nuclear watchdog
- 10:31 CET Quake in rural China kills six, damages thousands of homes
- 09:45 CET Thailand’s first MERS case to leave hospital