North Korea’s new leader Kim Jong-un has delivered his first major public speech. He spoke for 20 minutes, the first time a North Korean leader has made a major public set-piece address.
Despite a failed rocket-launch just two days earlier, Kim Jong-un urged tens of thousands in the crowd to ‘move towards final victory.’
America’s ABC network correspondent Bob Woodruff is in Pyongyang for euronews.
“Kim Jong-un is going be more open and public than his father was,” Woodruff told us.
“And in terms of the topic, the content, what he’s talking about, (he) is very similar to his father. The kind of facts that they’ve talked about for all these years, that’s not really different. But the fact that he talked for 20 minutes, compared to one sentence of his father all those years ago (is different). The other news, of course, here is this failed rocket launch. This time, they decided they would actually make this public, and it was several hours after this rocket went down, but they did say it. This never happened before with Kim Jong-il.”
Kim Jong-un is the third of his dynasty to rule the impoverished nation which is celebrating the centenary of his grandfather’s birth.
His late father’s nuclear ambitions alarmed many other countries. Spy satellite images suggest North Korea is now planning a third nuclear test.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:20 CET Israeli forces kill knife-wielding Palestinian youth – police
- 16:16 CET Burundi ruling party nominates president for third term, risking…
- 15:51 CET Moscow to investigate amid struggle over Chechen authority
- 15:40 CET Tribunal tells Ghana to stop oil work in Ivory Coast dispute
- 15:24 CET Insurgents seize Syrian strategic town of Jisr al-Shughour, army…
- 15:23 CET Thousands gather at dawn ceremony to mark Gallipoli centenary
- 15:17 CET Three Islamic State car bombs hit Iraq-Jordan border crossing…
- 15:04 CET French convict not in next round of Indonesia executions – embassy…