14/04/12 01:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The United Nations Security Council has condemned an apparent military coup in Guinea-Bissau.
Diplomats have demanded the release of both the president and prime minister of the tiny west African state and called for the former Portuguese colony to return to civilian rule.
Since gaining independence in 1974, Guinea-Bissau has seen a string of bloody revolts.
The coup has left presidential elections unfinished.
Prime Minister Carlos Gomes Jr was expected to win in a run-off later this month after gaining nearly 50 percent of the votes in the first round.
The coup’s leader Daba Na Walna blames a military co-operation with Angola for this latest power grab:
“Things deteriorated when the first weapons of the Angolan mission arrived. They culminated when the Angolan ambassador had the audacity to march into the army headquarters to accuse our military chief of preparing a coup d’Etat.”
Portugal has put its military on alert as Lisbon considers plans to evacuate its citizens.
Foreign Minister Paulo Portas told Portuguese TV: “The government has a duty to have the army ready to to protect our citizens. But we mustn’t confuse that with military action,” he said.
The revolt comes after a similar coup in Mali last month, which lasted barely three weeks.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 3Two Koreas, two reactions after illegal rocket launch
- 4More problems at FYROM-Greek border slows refugees’ journey north
- 5Spanish police smash ISIL terror cell in three cities
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Spanish police smash ISIL terror cell in three cities
Algeria enacts reforms and gives Berber language official status
Filmed bus stunt causes mini-panic in London
Former Foreign Legion commander arrested at anti-foreigner protest
‘The Revenant’ director Inarritu scoops DGA award, as Oscars near
Wires > News
- 22:38 CET Hollande, Merkel stress migrant crisis needs EU solution
- 20:50 CET Chilean alleges sex abuse cover-up, asks pope to sack bishop
- 20:23 CET Iran-backed militia warns against sending Arab forces to Syria…
- 19:41 CET U.N. rights chief meets families of Sri Lanka’s war victims
- 19:28 CET Carnival roars ahead in Brazil despite Zika health scare
- 18:47 CET Egyptian police shoot four suspected militants in raid near Cairo
- 18:31 CET Second member of Islamic State execution cell identified as Briton…
- 16:39 CET Fire on Mexico Pemex platform kills two workers, now under control