The deadline for the Syrian government to begin withdrawing forces from urban areas as agreed in a ceasefire plan, has come and gone – but there are ongoing reports of attacks on Syrian cities.
Activists claim there has been more violence and there are still tanks on the streets in several places including Homs and Aleppo.
After meeting with his Russian counterpart in Moscow, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al Muallem accused the opposition of escalating the violence and said the government had made the first move: “We have withdrawn some troops from some cities in keeping with point C of Kofi Annan’s peace plan. I believe that the cessation of violence must be synchronized with the arrival of international observers.”
Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov stressed the role of foreign powers in putting pressure on the opposition to meet its April 11 ceasefire deadline, though he did acknowledge the Syrian government could try harder.
“I think the Syrian authorities could be more active, resolved and decisive in the time taken to implement Kofi Annan’s plan,” Lavrov said.
Part of the plan put forward by Kofi Annan, who is an Arab League and UN envoy for the Syrian crisis, includes President Bashar al-Assad withdrawing heavy weapons from urban areas, but the opposition claims they are still being used in cities like Hama.
According to the agreement, both sides are supposed to end all violence by April 12.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola
- 21:27 CET U.S. Marines declare initial F-35 squadron ready for combat
- 21:25 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 21:22 CET Kerry to press Malaysia on human trafficking, not scandal
- 20:50 CET New York man charged with supporting Islamic State denied bail
- 20:29 CET Al Qaeda in Syria says detains U.S.-trained rebels