Russian authorities say 17 immigrant workers are known to have died in a fire overnight at a covered market in southern Moscow.
The fire swept through a warehouse housing the workers. Unconfirmed reports say they’d come from Tajikistan to work at the market.
A city spokesman described conditions in the warehouse as “terribly cramped”, with migrants sleeping on wooden bunks four-deep. They had no way out and were trapped by the flames.
Fire crews had to cut through metal doors to get inside.
One official has been quoted as saying the origin of the fire may have been an electric heater.
Tens of thousands of people from the former Soviet republics work in Moscow’s markets and on building sites, often living in poor conditions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 00:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 23:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 22:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO
- 22:36 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 22:30 CET In rural Tunisia, economic malaise weighs on voters
- 22:24 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, six soldiers killed
- 20:59 CET Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- 20:31 CET Iran re-arrests leading human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh