Russian authorities say 17 immigrant workers are known to have died in a fire overnight at a covered market in southern Moscow.
The fire swept through a warehouse housing the workers. Unconfirmed reports say they’d come from Tajikistan to work at the market.
A city spokesman described conditions in the warehouse as “terribly cramped”, with migrants sleeping on wooden bunks four-deep. They had no way out and were trapped by the flames.
Fire crews had to cut through metal doors to get inside.
One official has been quoted as saying the origin of the fire may have been an electric heater.
Tens of thousands of people from the former Soviet republics work in Moscow’s markets and on building sites, often living in poor conditions.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest world news
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Taiwan: Multiple buildings collapse after a 6.4 magnitude earthquake
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Gunmen shoot dead 1, injure 2, at Dublin boxing event
One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
Wires > News
- 22:29 CET Pope, Russian Orthodox patriarch to hold historic meeting in Cuba
- 22:26 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 22:25 CET Magnitude 6.4 earthquake hits southern Taiwan – USGS
- 21:59 CET Zika found in saliva; no Carnival kissing, Brazil warns pregnant…
- 20:36 CET Heavy clashes in southeast Libya, 30 killed
- 20:30 CET U.S., Britain eye letting UK spy agencies seek email, chat data…
- 20:03 CET Serbian minister dismissed over insult to journalist
- 19:30 CET Italian student killed in Egypt criticised Cairo government in…