It could be the stuff of science fiction, or at least something that looks straight out of a James Bond film but one of the world’s first flying cars has just completed several test flights.
The personal air and land vehicle or PAL-V for short, has been developed in the Netherlands.
Its designers hope to put the machine into production very soon and stress how easy it will be to learn how to handle.
“A normal drivers licence. And for flying a personal or private pilot’s licence and that’s something you get in around 20 to 30 hours lessons. So it’s pretty easy in a gyrocopter. It’s a gyrocopter and that’s the easiest way of flying, also the safest way of flying,” explained PAL-V CEO Robert Dingemanse.
It has a top speed of around 180 kilometres an hour whether in the air or on the ground and it only needs a 165 metre stretch of tarmac or grass to take to the skies.
Although it will be a while before its commercially available, the fly/drive car looks set to make traffic jams a thing of the past for fortunate high fliers
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:58 CET Italy’s Renzi suffers first high-profile defection from party
- 20:55 CET Turkey holds prosecutors over spy agency’s Syria-bound truck
- 20:18 CET India and Iran sign port deal despite U.S. warning about haste
- 19:48 CET Banned in Syria, Muslim Brotherhood members trickle home
- 19:40 CET Pentagon sees ‘tough’ Iraqi battle to secure Baiji oil refinery
- 19:25 CET German police arrest members of people-smuggling group
- 19:22 CET Ukraine leader warns of worsening conflict, peace envoys more…
- 19:14 CET Iraq’s unity ‘voluntary and not compulsory’ – Kurdish leader