Now Reading:

Trayvon Martin's killer acted in self-defence, says his father

world news

Trayvon Martin's killer acted in self-defence, says his father


The father of the man who shot Trayvon Martin dead said on Friday that his son acted in self-defence.
Robert Zimmerman told local Florida television that the 17-year-old attacked his son George first, breaking his nose and cutting his head.

But new police video footage appears to discredit that version of events. It was filmed shortly after the shooting last month. George Zimmerman has no injuries visible on camera.

The 28-year-old Neighbourhood Watch volunteer said he was set upon by Martin after he followed him because he looked “suspicious”.

Florida law allows a person to use reasonable force to protect themselves. Deadly force is permitted if that person reasonably believes he or she could be killed or suffer grievous bodily harm.

Martin’s killing caused uproar across the United States, with protesters saying it was racially motivated.

The case will be investigated by a grand jury in April.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article