The EU will give more money to individual member countries to resettle refugees. The extra cash comes after MEPs accused the bloc of failing to take in its fair share.
UN figures for this year show at least 172,000 people need urgent resettlement. But, the global number of places up for grabs is less than half that. Last year, Europe granted some 5000 people official refugee status. Many fewer than the US. In addition, only 13 out of 27 countries took part in the EU programme.
MEPs, who fought for a funding increase, say the extra money will be vital.
“We will create a resettlement unit. That should probably be completed by next year in the European Office for Asylum. There’s a possibility we’ll be able to pool resources so we can get more treatment centres and teams to go to refugee camps. They would provide language assistance and also be able to evaluate the individual refugees cases,’‘ said Green MEP Rui Tavares.
Currently the EU gives countries 4000 euros for every person resettled. Under the new scheme, funding will be increased to 6000 euros in the first year, dropping to 5000 the year after.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 18[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union