The EU will give more money to individual member countries to resettle refugees. The extra cash comes after MEPs accused the bloc of failing to take in its fair share.
UN figures for this year show at least 172,000 people need urgent resettlement. But, the global number of places up for grabs is less than half that. Last year, Europe granted some 5000 people official refugee status. Many fewer than the US. In addition, only 13 out of 27 countries took part in the EU programme.
MEPs, who fought for a funding increase, say the extra money will be vital.
“We will create a resettlement unit. That should probably be completed by next year in the European Office for Asylum. There’s a possibility we’ll be able to pool resources so we can get more treatment centres and teams to go to refugee camps. They would provide language assistance and also be able to evaluate the individual refugees cases,’‘ said Green MEP Rui Tavares.
Currently the EU gives countries 4000 euros for every person resettled. Under the new scheme, funding will be increased to 6000 euros in the first year, dropping to 5000 the year after.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 19Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 20London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter