A French court, on Monday, placed the former head of the International Monetary Fund Dominique Strauss-Kahn under formal investigation into his alleged role in a vice ring.
The 62-year-old was charged after appearing
before a panel of judges in the French city of Lille earlier on Monday.
Strauss-Kahn’s Lawyer Richard Malka told reporters: “He denies in the strongest terms being guilty of any of these charges and has never had any awareness that some women known to him could be prostitutes.”
“Moreover, even if he did know their status, we must remember that having a relationship with an escort does not constitute a crime under French law.”
Strauss-Kahn quit last year as IMF chief after being arrested in New York on sexual assault charges. That case was eventually dropped although a civil case brought by the alleged victim Natissatou Diallo is due to be heard on Wednesday, the same day as his initial hearing in this latest French case.
In further French proceedings last year, Strauss-Kahn was accused of attempted rape by a respected writer. That case was also dropped.
For now, Strauss-Kahn stays free on a bail of 100,000 euros.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.