It is a bad day for air travellers in Germany with hundreds of flights cancelled amid a strike by baggage handlers and other ground staff.
A pay dispute prompted the half-day walkout by the Verdi union, part of broader industrial action that has hit other public services in recent weeks.
Airports had been spared, until now.
“What we are demanding is well known,” said union activist Hakan Gülcicek at Cologne-Bonn airport.
“We want to recover all of the wage losses we have seen in real terms over the past few years at the airports, through strong negotiations of course but also with a safety bonus because since September 11 we have had more and more responsibilities.”
Frankfurt, Germany’s biggest airport, has been hit as have other hubs including Dusseldorf, Stuttgart and Munich. Stranded passengers are not happy.
“I don’t agree with the strike,” said passenger Carsten Thun in Frankfurt. “They can solve the problem by other means. It is simply sad.”
“I think the strike is really bad,” added fellow Frankfurt passenger Max Schitko. “Thankfully, we are not affected but if we had been then I would be really angry. The people who have to sit around and suffer, maybe for a day or two, they have really drawn the short straw.”
Verdi is pushing for a 6.5 per cent pay rise. Employers offered 3.3 per cent, a suggestion that failed to get off the ground. Fresh talks are due to start on Wednesday.
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 3Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 4‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 5Revenge calls as Palestinian boy dies in ‘Jewish settler’ arson attack
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Missing MH370: suspected wing debris arrives in France for analysis
Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
Fears of upsurge in violence following death of Palestinian infant
Ebola vaccine trial shows 100% effectiveness in Guinea
Germany suspends treason investigation into news website
Wires > News
- 08:24 CET Plane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 07:06 CET On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…