A 13-year-old boy was shot dead in Egypt’s Port Said on Saturday during continuing protests over last month’s deadly football riots.
Eighteen people were injured during the violence, which erupted on Friday night after the Egyptian Football Association slapped a two year ban on the Al-Masry football club and closed their stadium.
The punishment followed the deaths of 74 people during a pitch invasion after a match against Cairo club Al Ahli on 1st February.
On Friday night, police cordoned off the city’s main
administrative offices following the announcement as demonstrators attempted to storm the building.
Protesting fans said they were furious at authorities for blaming the club for the tragedy. They blamed “hired outsiders” for the pitch invasion which led to dozens dying in the subsequent stampede.
Egypt’s general prosecutor charged 75 people including three club officials for the violence which was one of the deadliest events in recent football history.