Most residents in Port Said stayed at home on Saturday to avoid clashes between football fans and the police.
A 13-year-old boy was killed in the unrest, and more violence broke out after his funeral.
Protesters first gathered outside the Suez Canal Authority building on Friday night, before smashing the front of army and police clubs in the city.
Port Said’s harbour was closed and ships using the Suez Canal had to be redirected.
Many shopkeepers also decided not to open as the military police battled to stop angry fans from damaging government buildings.
At least 65 people have been injured since the Egyptian Football Authority announced a two-season ban on al-Masry Football Club. Port Said Stadium will be closed for three years.
The unpopular decision is because of a deadly pitch invasion and stampede last month after al-Masry beat Cairo’s Al Ahli. Seventy-four people lost their lives in what is Egypt’s deadliest stadium disaster.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.