Mohamed Merah, the main suspect in the recent Montauban and Toulouse killings, was identified by his internet IP address.
French paper Le Monde and Radio France Info, quoting sources close to the investigation, said that among the leads being investigated was the claim that the first victim had set up a meeting with the shooter via a classified ad published on the Internet.
French soldier Imad Ibn-Ziaten, was shot in Toulouse on March 11 when he thought he was meeting a prospective buyer for his motorcycle.
French Interior Minister Claude Guéant explained during a news conference that “after Ibn-Ziaten’s murder, police detectives looked through the communications he received from persons interested in buying his motorcycle”.
According to the minister detectives examined data that the French intelligence agency DCRI, which had been watching the suspect for a long time, had gathered. The cross-checking “revealed an IP address corresponding to the mother of the person currently being arrested”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo