Syria’s refugee crisis appears increasingly critical. Despite tens of thousands already fleeing violence inside their country, aid agencies are warning the situation is about to get much worse.
In recent days, the Turkish government has hinted it could set up a safe-haven buffer-zone straddling its border. The UN is also planning additional emergency food aid.
However dire, Syria is just part of a bigger refugee crisis across the whole Middle East region following the Arab Spring.
Could and should Europe be doing more to help? We speak to the UN’s High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres.
Click on the link above for our report and to see the interview.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 09:21 CET Iran to upgrade missiles, get Russian defence system – minister
- 09:11 CET Indonesian president may include new parties in next cabinet…
- 08:39 CET Tajiks to vote in referendum on giving president unlimited terms
- 07:58 CET Rapidly ageing Thailand tells businesses to hire more elderly
- 06:50 CET Trump, Sanders ride U.S. anti-establishment tide to New Hampshire…
- 06:25 CET Exclusive – U.S., India consider joint patrols in South China Sea…
- 05:22 CET Kidnapped journalist found dead in central Mexico
- 05:04 CET Libya must lead anti-Islamic State effort, Egypt’s foreign…