Snow might not be ideal weather for a festival that marks the coming of Spring. But the annual feast of Nowruz is a big deal in Tajikistan.
Hence preparations, amid the white stuff, for a party complete with international guests. Nowruz is celebrated in countries from Asia to the Middle East.
Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Afghanistan’s President Hamid Karzai are among those attending.
And judging by those who talked to our correspondent in the Tajik capital Dushanbe, there is no shortage of holiday spirit.
“I wish a happy Nowruz, health and prosperity to all Iranians and Persian speakers,” said one young woman.
“On behalf of all Tajik people, I wish happiness, health and joy to all who celebrate Nowruz,” a man added.
“I am Tajik from Dushanbe. I wish you a lifetime of happiness,“a woman told our reporter.
Poverty is rife in this ex-Soviet state and life is not easy. But renewal and friendship are celebrated at this time of year.
Euronews correspondent Babak Kamiar says:
“Nowruz is an important springtime festival for the Tajik people. Even a heavy snow fall has not put a damper on this year’s event.”
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 11:42 CET Insight – Unable to halt Europe-bound migrants, Tripoli demands…
- 11:06 CET One killed in rebel shelling of east Ukraine town, coke plant…
- 10:43 CET Greece will not make June IMF repayment – interior minister
- 10:24 CET One Ukrainian civilian killed, two wounded in Avdiyivka shelling -…
- 10:04 CET Women activists cross DMZ to mixed reception on South Korean side
- 09:21 CET Mass graves of suspected trafficking victims found in Malaysia
- 09:07 CET Analysis – The European centre-left’s quandary
- 08:02 CET Rohingya Muslims found on boat rescued by Myanmar navy