Snow might not be ideal weather for a festival that marks the coming of Spring. But the annual feast of Nowruz is a big deal in Tajikistan.
Hence preparations, amid the white stuff, for a party complete with international guests. Nowruz is celebrated in countries from Asia to the Middle East.
Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Afghanistan’s President Hamid Karzai are among those attending.
And judging by those who talked to our correspondent in the Tajik capital Dushanbe, there is no shortage of holiday spirit.
“I wish a happy Nowruz, health and prosperity to all Iranians and Persian speakers,” said one young woman.
“On behalf of all Tajik people, I wish happiness, health and joy to all who celebrate Nowruz,” a man added.
“I am Tajik from Dushanbe. I wish you a lifetime of happiness,“a woman told our reporter.
Poverty is rife in this ex-Soviet state and life is not easy. But renewal and friendship are celebrated at this time of year.
Euronews correspondent Babak Kamiar says:
“Nowruz is an important springtime festival for the Tajik people. Even a heavy snow fall has not put a damper on this year’s event.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 00:28 CET Iran says it watered down, converted over 200 kg of enriched…
- 00:21 CET U.N. peace envoy criticizes Israeli Easter security in Jerusalem
- 22:34 CET Sudanese militants kill two, kidnap three at oil field
- 22:31 CET Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
- 22:15 CET Iran slams U.S. justice verdict on Manhattan skyscraper
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building