By Ali May, London Correspondent
20/03/12 17:32 CET
Norouz has a special place in most Iranian hearts. It is not like a religious Eid that only the faithful celebrate, or a state-sponsored political event that only attracts the jubilation of a specific part of the population. This is the one time that everyone comes together in celebration.
The Iranian love affair with Norouz goes a long way. Some would like to say it is a tradition that has been celebrated for the past 7,000 years, therefore it carries a lot on its shoulder of the collective sense of being one people. Others would think it suffices to have two weeks off and enjoy the company of loved ones.
President Obama has addressed Iranians every year with a Norouz message. This year’s message bore similarities to ones of yesteryear, wishing Iranians prosperity and better days. But it had a special focus: the electronic curtain around the country.
Obama blamed the Iranian regime for imposing limitations on what the people can see and say in order to protect its power. “Technologies that should empower citizens, are being used to repress them,” he said in regards to monitoring electronic communications.
“Because of the actions of the Iranian regime, an electronic curtain has fallen around Iran; a barrier that stops the free flow of information and ideas into the country and denies the rest of the world the benefit of interacting with Iranian people who have so much to offer.”
Watch President Obama’s Norouz message here:
Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei spoke of a year in which his country was under pressure, yet “in spite of all the hardships, we made great achievements last year”. He had named the previous year one for “economic jihad,” one of hard work for improving the economic prospects.
Economy was the crux of his argument this Norouz and he called the New Year one for “national production and supporting Iranian labour and capital”.
“If we manage to increase our domestic production, the issue of inflation will be resolved, the issue of unemployment will be resolved and our economy will be strengthened in the real sense of the word, which will disappoint the enemy,” he said in his Norouz message broadcast on state television.
Norouz is a Persian word that literally means new day. It is the time of year when Vernal Equinox takes place and Spring officially begins. It is celebrated by more than 300 million people across the world, in Iran, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Georgia and Uzbekistan.
This song by Farhad is the ultimate narrative of what Norouz means to a child and guarantees nostalgia for any Iranian:
By Ali May, London CorrespondentMore about:
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 07:27 CET U.S.‘s Kerry, Iran’s Zarif to meet at U.N. anti-nuclear arms…
- 07:21 CET Insight – Pakistan military’s move on Karachi seen part of…
- 07:16 CET ASEAN draft statement says South China Sea land reclamation risks…
- 06:49 CET Kazakh veteran leader Nazarbayev wins new term by a landslide
- 06:48 CET Desperate Nepalis flee capital as aftershocks spread fear
- 06:14 CET U.S., Japan to unveil new defence guidelines amid China’s rise
- 06:11 CET Corruption allegations raise doubts about Indonesian trials of…
- 23:26 CET U.S. Secretary of State Kerry to meet with Iran foreign minister…