East German former Lutheran pastor Joachim Gauck has been chosen to be the next president of Germany, after reluctantly being backed by Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Winning with an overwhelming majority, he got 991 votes, to his closest opponent, Beate Klarsfeld’s 126.
Known for being a pro-democracy activist allied to no specific party, the 72-year-old is Germany’s third president in two years and its first one from the former communist East.
Wires > News
- 23:48 CET Heavy air strikes on Syria’s Idlib kill and injure dozens -monitor
- 23:35 CET Brazil’s Temer pressed to drop anti-corruption minister
- 23:23 CET Netanyahu says willing to discuss Arab initiative for peace with…
- 23:10 CET Six killed, many injured, by roadside bombs in southeast Turkey
- 22:53 CET EU chief Tusk slams utopian ‘illusions’ of united Europe
- 22:46 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 22:44 CET Juncker’s plan to visit Russia in June reopens EU sanctions debate
- 22:42 CET Sunni hawk wins Lebanon vote, risking new tensions