Now Reading:

US officials name Afghan shootings suspect

world news

US officials name Afghan shootings suspect


The American soldier implicated in the massacre of 16 Afghan villagers has been named by US officials as Staff Sergeant Robert Bales.

The rift between the two countries widened when
President Karzai accused the US of failing to cooperate.

He was meeting elders and relatives of victims from the Kandahar village who say more than one soldier was involved.

“In four rooms people were killed, children and women were killed, and then they were all brought together in one room and then put on fire. One man cannot do that. The Afghan investigation team did not receive the cooperation that they expected from the United States,” said the Afghan leader.

The dead in last Sunday’s attack included nine children and three women.

Many Afghans are angry that the 38-year-old suspect was flown out of the country.

His lawyer says post-traumatic stress disorder may be a mitigating factor: Bales, he claims, had been wounded twice in Iraq and had witnessed a serious injury to a comrade the day before the massacre.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article