Two French soldiers have been shot dead and a third seriously injured by a gunman on a scooter in broad daylight in southwestern France.
The men, who were in uniform, were in the process of withdrawing money from a cash machine in the town of Montauban. Police say the gunman wore a helmet with the visor pulled down.
The third soldier was said to be in a critical condition in hospital.
“We heard gunfire, you now, like from an automatic weapon. Three small bursts,” said one witness.
“I saw two men on the ground, with someone giving some forceful heart massage using their fists,” said another man.
The attack came days after a 30-year-old soldier in civilian clothes was shot dead in the nearby city of Toulouse.
The motive for the shootings is unclear. Police said they believed the gunman in Thursday’s attack had been waiting for his victims.
The French Defence Minister Gérard Longuet said, from the scene in Montauban, that he did not think the French army was being specifically targeted.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 12:39 CET Ukraine assembly rejects premier’s resignation, backs laws
- 11:55 CET U.S. raises stalled WTO talks with India, no sign of breakthrough
- 11:50 CET U.N. religion expert concerned over ‘interrupted’ Vietnam visit
- 11:48 CET Greece sends ships to Libya evacuate embassy, foreign nationals
- 11:28 CET U.S. missionary jailed in North Korea feels ‘abandoned’ – paper
- 10:38 CET Sierra Leone president declares state of emergency over Ebola
- 10:27 CET Singapore risks business cred with foreign labour restrictions
- 10:04 CET Child credit scam prompts U.S. tax crackdown on expats in Israel