Two French soldiers have been shot dead and a third seriously injured by a gunman on a scooter in broad daylight in southwestern France.
The men, who were in uniform, were in the process of withdrawing money from a cash machine in the town of Montauban. Police say the gunman wore a helmet with the visor pulled down.
The third soldier was said to be in a critical condition in hospital.
“We heard gunfire, you now, like from an automatic weapon. Three small bursts,” said one witness.
“I saw two men on the ground, with someone giving some forceful heart massage using their fists,” said another man.
The attack came days after a 30-year-old soldier in civilian clothes was shot dead in the nearby city of Toulouse.
The motive for the shootings is unclear. Police said they believed the gunman in Thursday’s attack had been waiting for his victims.
The French Defence Minister Gérard Longuet said, from the scene in Montauban, that he did not think the French army was being specifically targeted.
- 1Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 2Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Russian ruble keeps rolling out in ‘Donetsk People’s Republic’
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 11:40 CET Global football officials arrested in U.S., Swiss corruption cases
- 11:35 CET Over 2,500 migrants still adrift, UN says ahead of SE Asia meeting
- 11:31 CET Arab forces strike Houthi-held Yemen military port – local official
- 11:24 CET Danish PM calls general election on June 18
- 11:20 CET Belgian flights halted after air traffic technical issue
- 10:17 CET U.S., South Korea, Japan seek to raise pressure on North’s nuclear…
- 10:01 CET Japan, Philippines to deepen ties as China asserts sea claims
- 08:04 CET Erdogan aims to turn Turkey into major defence industry power