Two French soldiers have been shot dead and a third seriously injured by a gunman on a scooter in broad daylight in southwestern France.
The men, who were in uniform, were in the process of withdrawing money from a cash machine in the town of Montauban. Police say the gunman wore a helmet with the visor pulled down.
The third soldier was said to be in a critical condition in hospital.
“We heard gunfire, you now, like from an automatic weapon. Three small bursts,” said one witness.
“I saw two men on the ground, with someone giving some forceful heart massage using their fists,” said another man.
The attack came days after a 30-year-old soldier in civilian clothes was shot dead in the nearby city of Toulouse.
The motive for the shootings is unclear. Police said they believed the gunman in Thursday’s attack had been waiting for his victims.
The French Defence Minister Gérard Longuet said, from the scene in Montauban, that he did not think the French army was being specifically targeted.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: forensics suggest ‘explosion on board’ – Egyptian official
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
Wires > News
- 11:38 CET Yemen university bomb kills gardener, injures two students
- 11:37 CET Key economy figures kept in new Turkish cabinet, Erdogan keeps…
- 11:36 CET Saudi court hands death sentence to man convicted of 2004 attack…
- 11:25 CET Japan sales tax, snap poll in focus as Abe prepares for G7 summit
- 11:22 CET Insight – In Iran, dividends of nuclear deal are slow to appear
- 11:15 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term “like from the old days”
- 11:10 CET Pit collapse kills at least 13 in Myanmar jade-mining district
- 10:55 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown