As the clock counts down to the London Olympics, the tourism industry is looking forward to a bumper summer. It is the world’s greatest sporting event, but it is already looking like the toughest competition will be finding somewhere to stay.
Hotels in central London are filling up and rooms rates are soaring.
Gareth Banner, General Manager of the Hempel Hotel, said: I think hotel prices have increased but I don’t think it is entirely attributable to the games. There has been some press around profiteering, which I don’t think is all that (it) has been portrayed (as) in the press so far. A lot of the hotels have signed up to an allocation of rooms with the LOCOG (London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games), had a contracted price several years ago and will be honouring that.”
However, a survey by a leading tourism website found that in some cases hotel prices had doubled.
David Roche, head of hotels.com said: “In central London hotel prices have already gone up year-on-year more than 100 percent. There is very, very little availability left in central London. My advice to the consumers would be, if you’re going to book for the Olympics, book now, don’t delay. Also think about booking farther into west London where the prices are not so high.”
With hotel space at a premium and room prices hitting record heights, Olympic gold may soon come to mean what you have to pay to get a bed for the night.
By Ali May, London CorrespondentMore about:
Latest world news
Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
South African court paves way for Zuma to face renewed corruption charges
13 feared dead after helicopter crash near Bergen, Norway
Angry protest outside Trump rally in California
‘A new game, a final’: UEFA’s Platini makes last appeal against six-year ban
Wires > News
- 15:32 CET 11 people found dead in Norway helicopter crash
- 15:27 CET Paris police arrest 27 after overnight violence
- 15:13 CET Fire breaks out on old Russian nuclear sub, now extinguished…
- 15:10 CET Finnish NATO membership would lead to crisis with Russia -…
- 14:57 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 strikes against Islamic State – …
- 14:55 CET Syria calls local truces; U.N. condemns ‘monstrous disregard’ for…
- 14:51 CET Biden gets papal blessing for his global war on cancer
- 14:34 CET Italy struggles to house migrants in third year of mass arrivals