French President Nicolas Sarkozy has angrily denied accusations, during a live television interview, that he received money from deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to fund his first election campaign.
The claims, reported in news website Mediapart, allege that the Libyan regime donated 50 million euros.
“If he had funded it then I haven’t been very grateful,” responded Sarkozy who was reminded by the interviewer that Gaddafi’s son Saif al Islam had made the allegations.
“I’m not sure that he makes a good witness.
Gaddafi, who is known for talking nonsense, has even said that there were cheques. Well ask his son to present them,“ added Sarkozy.
In March 2011 during an interview with euronews, Gaddafi’s son claimed that Sarkozy’s 2007 campaign had been funded by his father.
“Sarkozy must repay Libya the money he took for his election campaign. We financed it. We have all the details and we are ready to publish them. The first thing we ask of this clown Sarkozy is that he repay this money to the Libyan people. We helped him become president so that he would help the Libyan people but he has disappointed us. And very soon we will publish all the details,” said Gaddafi.
Saif al-Islam was captured in November 2011 trying to leave Libya following the fall of the regime and his father’s death.
There is confusion over whether he will face trial in Libya or at the International Criminal Court in the Hague on charges of crimes against humanity.
You can find the full interview with Saif al Islam Gaddafi on the euronews website: Gaddafi to Sarkozy: give us back our money
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
US: Rubio under fire from rivals during Republican presidential debate
Haiti leaders clinch last-minute deal to form interim government
S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
Taiwan quake: young man pulled alive from rubble, as survivor search continues
North Korea launches rocket, defying international warnings
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Algerian lawmakers pass reforms boosting parliament powers
- 13:36 CET Several dual citizens in Iran face espionage charges – official
- 13:16 CET In Aleppo, underground schools face bombardments and burnout
- 13:02 CET Air strike kills mother and child in Libya’s Derna – witness
- 12:31 CET South Africa won’t declare national disaster over drought
- 12:04 CET UAE says ready to send ground troops to Syria
- 11:27 CET More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still…
- 10:16 CET Australia pledges aid to help Tonga, Pacific with Zika