French President Nicolas Sarkozy has angrily denied accusations, during a live television interview, that he received money from deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to fund his first election campaign.
The claims, reported in news website Mediapart, allege that the Libyan regime donated 50 million euros.
“If he had funded it then I haven’t been very grateful,” responded Sarkozy who was reminded by the interviewer that Gaddafi’s son Saif al Islam had made the allegations.
“I’m not sure that he makes a good witness.
Gaddafi, who is known for talking nonsense, has even said that there were cheques. Well ask his son to present them,“ added Sarkozy.
In March 2011 during an interview with euronews, Gaddafi’s son claimed that Sarkozy’s 2007 campaign had been funded by his father.
“Sarkozy must repay Libya the money he took for his election campaign. We financed it. We have all the details and we are ready to publish them. The first thing we ask of this clown Sarkozy is that he repay this money to the Libyan people. We helped him become president so that he would help the Libyan people but he has disappointed us. And very soon we will publish all the details,” said Gaddafi.
Saif al-Islam was captured in November 2011 trying to leave Libya following the fall of the regime and his father’s death.
There is confusion over whether he will face trial in Libya or at the International Criminal Court in the Hague on charges of crimes against humanity.
You can find the full interview with Saif al Islam Gaddafi on the euronews website: Gaddafi to Sarkozy: give us back our money
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Wires > News
- 02:15 CET Mexico approves U.S. extradition warrant for fugitive kingpin…
- 00:24 CET Brazil’s Rousseff announces more education spending cuts
- 00:11 CET Checked bag fees are here to stay – United Airlines CEO
- 00:11 CET Greece’s Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote
- 00:10 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777
- 23:37 CET Canada’s election campaign seen starting Sunday
- 23:19 CET U.S. political fight over Iran nuclear deal goes Hollywood
- 22:32 CET Pentagon chief gives nod to arm more troops in U.S. after shooting