French President Nicolas Sarkozy has angrily denied accusations, during a live television interview, that he received money from deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to fund his first election campaign.
The claims, reported in news website Mediapart, allege that the Libyan regime donated 50 million euros.
“If he had funded it then I haven’t been very grateful,” responded Sarkozy who was reminded by the interviewer that Gaddafi’s son Saif al Islam had made the allegations.
“I’m not sure that he makes a good witness.
Gaddafi, who is known for talking nonsense, has even said that there were cheques. Well ask his son to present them,“ added Sarkozy.
In March 2011 during an interview with euronews, Gaddafi’s son claimed that Sarkozy’s 2007 campaign had been funded by his father.
“Sarkozy must repay Libya the money he took for his election campaign. We financed it. We have all the details and we are ready to publish them. The first thing we ask of this clown Sarkozy is that he repay this money to the Libyan people. We helped him become president so that he would help the Libyan people but he has disappointed us. And very soon we will publish all the details,” said Gaddafi.
Saif al-Islam was captured in November 2011 trying to leave Libya following the fall of the regime and his father’s death.
There is confusion over whether he will face trial in Libya or at the International Criminal Court in the Hague on charges of crimes against humanity.
You can find the full interview with Saif al Islam Gaddafi on the euronews website: Gaddafi to Sarkozy: give us back our money
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:01 CET Hundreds drown off Libya, EU leaders forced to reconsider migrant…
- 20:38 CET Yemen’s Houthi leader accuses Saudi Arabia of seeking to invade
- 20:06 CET Gunmen kill eight supporters of Brazilian football club
- 20:01 CET Mexico says captures Juarez Cartel leader
- 19:19 CET Finland’s opposition Centre Party tops advanced voting ahead of…
- 19:04 CET Economic victory fails to deliver popularity boost for Hungary’s…
- 18:48 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are U.S. ‘myth’
- 18:43 CET Iraqi officer under Saddam masterminded rise of Islamic State -…