Swedish Alpine skiing star Anja Paerson announced on Monday that she will retire after this week’s World Cup finals, ending a 14-year career in which she won six Olympic medals.
The 30 year old, who was unable to compete at her highest level recently due to a knee injury, made her World Cup debut at the 1998 finals in Switzerland and the season-ending event in Austria will be her last.
Paerson, a member of the International Ski Federation athletes commission, added she had not yet made plans for the future.
- 1Champions League: Bayern Munich v Atletico Madrid preview
- 2Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 3Leicester City win Premier League after Tottenham draw with Chelsea
- 4Champions League: Real Madrid v Man City preview
- 5Colombia’s Nairo Quintana bumped up on podium in Tour de Romandie
Wires > Sport
- 20:53 CET Patience rewarded with Olympic berth
- 20:35 CET Maturing Kyrgios knocks Wawrinka out of Madrid Open
- 20:10 CET Azarenka pulls out of Madrid Open with back injury
- 20:05 CET German cyclist looks to race with 3D-printed prosthesis in Rio
- 18:47 CET Mercedes rule out any bias in open letter to fans
- 18:26 CET Brazil’s Olympic marketing campaign victim of government paralysis
- 18:19 CET F1 engine agreement contains ‘Red Bull Clause’
- 17:11 CET Tottenham and Chelsea charged over Bridge battle