On the one year anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, Europeans have also been remembering the events that affected thousands of people.
Galvanised by the disaster at the Fukushima power plant, anti-nuclear demonstrations were held in Germany. Organisers say more than 50,000 people in six regions took part.
“I’m a mother of five children and I take care of the next generation. Now I feel a responsibility to answer my children’s questions and raise questions I also have,” said protester Erika Rieger.
Germany’s eight oldest nuclear reactors were closed after Fukushima – the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl – and another nine will be offline by 2022.
Belgian group Stop Nuclear Kernenergie organised an event in Brussels calling for an end to the use of nuclear energy. With the aim of shutting down Belgium’s nuclear facilities, protesters insisted that nuclear power in unsafe.
Organisers of French demonstrations claim 60,000 supporters formed a human chain 230 kilometres long, stretching from Lyon to Avignon. The Rhone Valley region has the highest concentration of nuclear reactors in France, and the country is the most dependent on nuclear power in the world.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo
- 17:00 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion
- 15:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 15:36 CET In Damascus, Christians briefly ignore war for Easter