One of France’s best-known cartoonists, Jean Giraud – also known as Moebius – has died in Paris at the age of 73 after a long fight against cancer.
The comic-book artist and designer was revered in a country where cartoons are held in high artistic regard, but his work also found fame in Japan and the United States.
Moebius was perhaps best known for the Western series Blueberry, which he co-created. Its main character starts out as a committed racist before becoming an enemy of all types of discrimination.
The Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho, whose book “The Alchemist” was illustrated by the cartoonist, wrote on Twitter that “the great Moebius died today, the great Moebius lives on”.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 2Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Ukraine: Full ceasefire maintained in some areas, Kyiv reports
- 5Right-wing Northern League holds rally in centre of Rome
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 7Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 15Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 16Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 17‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET U.S.-Israel ties fraying over Netanyahu speech, Iran talks
- 00:26 CET Netanyahu takes Iran campaign to Jerusalem holy site
- 23:23 CET Russians to march in memory of murdered critic of Putin
- 22:45 CET Police in Germany’s Bremen heighten security citing possible…
- 20:11 CET Lorry kills protester at roadblock in southern Brazil
- 20:10 CET Kurdish rebel leader in Turkey calls for disarmament congress
- 18:51 CET Women protest on last day of Rio IOC meetings
- 18:36 CET Italy anti-immigrant Northern League rallies against Renzi