One of France’s best-known cartoonists, Jean Giraud – also known as Moebius – has died in Paris at the age of 73 after a long fight against cancer.
The comic-book artist and designer was revered in a country where cartoons are held in high artistic regard, but his work also found fame in Japan and the United States.
Moebius was perhaps best known for the Western series Blueberry, which he co-created. Its main character starts out as a committed racist before becoming an enemy of all types of discrimination.
The Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho, whose book “The Alchemist” was illustrated by the cartoonist, wrote on Twitter that “the great Moebius died today, the great Moebius lives on”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence – follow live
- 2Scotland says ‘No’ to independence from UK after historic vote
- 3Scottish Highlands a spectacular battleground in the independence vote
- 4Which celebrities are backing Scottish independence?
- 5UN warns over Ebola as Sierra Leone lockdown begins
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:29 CET Japan PM Abe seeks summit with South Korea’s Park amid frosty ties
- 12:27 CET Uganda’s Museveni ditches former ally PM Mbabazi in power struggle
- 12:12 CET Austrian town officials resign after Nazi basement film
- 12:03 CET Spanish leaders relieved as Scottish ‘no’ deals blow to Catalan…
- 11:55 CET France says it launches first air strikes in Iraq
- 11:48 CET EU relief at Scotland’s ‘no’ tinged with fear of nationalism
- 11:45 CET India gets its first transgender TV news anchor – newspaper
- 11:24 CET Shi’ite rebels shell Yemen state TV, residents flee fighting