French woman Florence Cassez could soon be freed from a 60-year prison sentence in a Mexican jail after a judge decided her conviction was unsafe.
Thirty-seven year old Cassez was found guilty of kidnapping and other crimes in 2008.
However, Mexico’s Supreme court is now to review the case which has been a growing source of diplomatic tension between France and Mexico.
A panel of five judges will give their decision in two weeks time.
The challenge comes from a legal report which claims Cassez was denied a fair trial and that witness statements used to convicted her were unreliable.
Cassez was arrested in 2005 and accused of being part of a kidnapping gang called The Zodiacs who were led by her former Mexican boyfriend at the time.
Mexican anti-crime activists oppose her release
saying a message must be sent to kidnappers while others see her as a victim of injustice.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:15 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage