French woman Florence Cassez could soon be freed from a 60-year prison sentence in a Mexican jail after a judge decided her conviction was unsafe.
Thirty-seven year old Cassez was found guilty of kidnapping and other crimes in 2008.
However, Mexico’s Supreme court is now to review the case which has been a growing source of diplomatic tension between France and Mexico.
A panel of five judges will give their decision in two weeks time.
The challenge comes from a legal report which claims Cassez was denied a fair trial and that witness statements used to convicted her were unreliable.
Cassez was arrested in 2005 and accused of being part of a kidnapping gang called The Zodiacs who were led by her former Mexican boyfriend at the time.
Mexican anti-crime activists oppose her release
saying a message must be sent to kidnappers while others see her as a victim of injustice.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
Dutch PM to Greece: only way to keep the euro is deep reform
Pope wows the crowds with first papal visit to Ecuador in 30 years
Ocean’s Eleven and Karate Kid producer Jerry Weintraub dies
Armenia police clear ‘electricity hike’ protest camp in capital
Italian police carry out anti-jihadi sweep in Pisa
Wires > News
- 10:27 CET Explosives stolen from army base in France
- 07:37 CET Senegalese risk lives in migrant exodus despite stability at home
- 07:34 CET Dream of better life in Britain fuels Calais migrant chaos
- 07:31 CET Brothers arrested over links to Islamic State bombing in Kuwait -…
- 06:50 CET At least 13 dead in gun attack in northeast Kenya – Red Cross
- 05:36 CET The world’s oldest man dies in Japan, aged 112
- 04:12 CET Islamic State target Iraq’s Haditha town with vehicle bombs
- 04:05 CET Ebola-stricken nations need $700 million to rebuild healthcare