US diplomats met with North Korean officials in Beijing on Wednesday to finalise a food aid deal, part of an agreement to end Pyongyang’s nuclear programme.
The United States has not shipped nutritional aid to North Korea for three years.
Washington’s special envoy Robert King said the talks were focused on getting food to those people who need it most.
“We are looking at the program to help a million or more residents of the DPRK, primarily focused on young children, on women, or those who are pregnant and nursing, or the elderly and others who are particularly disadvantaged,” King said.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un inherited power when his father Kim Jong-il died in December.
Last week, he agreed to halt nuclear and long-range missile testing and to stop enriching uranium.
Pyongyang also said UN inspectors would be allowed back into the country.
Six party disarmament talks that included the US and China broke down in 2009.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 5Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Ugandan constitutional court strikes down anti-homosexuality law
- 13:36 CET Court rejects request to arrest Kremlin critic Navalny
- 12:51 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid
- 12:47 CET Islamic State imposes media controls in Syrian province
- 11:48 CET Cyprus expects to grant first casino resort licence within a year
- 10:38 CET Insight – Town vs town, faction vs faction as Libya descends into…
- 09:48 CET Greece evacuates embassy staff, foreign nationals from Libya
- 09:46 CET PR firm Edelman says its China chief is missing amid unspecified…