US diplomats met with North Korean officials in Beijing on Wednesday to finalise a food aid deal, part of an agreement to end Pyongyang’s nuclear programme.
The United States has not shipped nutritional aid to North Korea for three years.
Washington’s special envoy Robert King said the talks were focused on getting food to those people who need it most.
“We are looking at the program to help a million or more residents of the DPRK, primarily focused on young children, on women, or those who are pregnant and nursing, or the elderly and others who are particularly disadvantaged,” King said.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un inherited power when his father Kim Jong-il died in December.
Last week, he agreed to halt nuclear and long-range missile testing and to stop enriching uranium.
Pyongyang also said UN inspectors would be allowed back into the country.
Six party disarmament talks that included the US and China broke down in 2009.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus