At least 14 people have been killed and 54 injured in a head-on train crash in Poland.
It happened late on Saturday evening in the south of the country.
Hundreds of rescue workers rushed to the scene to be confronted by distraught survivors climbing onto the mangled wreckage of passenger carriages.
A firefighter told Polish TV that the damage was huge and the rescue is proving difficult and complicated.
“I felt the blow. I hit the person in front of me. The lights went out. Everything flew. We flew over the compartment like bags. We could hear screams. We prayed,” he said.
The scale of the catastrophe prompted Prime Minister Donald Tusk and his Interior Minister to rush to the scene.
It’s not yet clear how the accident happened but it’s one of the worst rail disasters in Poland in recent years. The force of the collision caused the carriages to jack-knife.
Injured passengers were carried away on stretchers while others huddled under blankets.
Some were still trapped in the wreckage when the emergency services arrived and the exact number of dead and injured may not be known for some time.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET U.S. warships accompany British commercial vessels in Strait -…
- 18:06 CET Police raid home of gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas
- 17:57 CET Afghan talks agree on reopening Taliban political office
- 17:40 CET Insight – Baltic military shadow-boxing said to reach Cold War…
- 17:25 CET Pakistan minister stripped of parliament seat over 2013 rigging
- 17:20 CET Kenya charges four people over recruitment for al Shabaab
- 17:02 CET South Sudan’s future at grave risk, says Kerry
- 16:26 CET Ethiopian protests draw attention to racism in Israel