At least 14 people have been killed and 54 injured in a head-on train crash in Poland.
It happened late on Saturday evening in the south of the country.
Hundreds of rescue workers rushed to the scene to be confronted by distraught survivors climbing onto the mangled wreckage of passenger carriages.
A firefighter told Polish TV that the damage was huge and the rescue is proving difficult and complicated.
“I felt the blow. I hit the person in front of me. The lights went out. Everything flew. We flew over the compartment like bags. We could hear screams. We prayed,” he said.
The scale of the catastrophe prompted Prime Minister Donald Tusk and his Interior Minister to rush to the scene.
It’s not yet clear how the accident happened but it’s one of the worst rail disasters in Poland in recent years. The force of the collision caused the carriages to jack-knife.
Injured passengers were carried away on stretchers while others huddled under blankets.
Some were still trapped in the wreckage when the emergency services arrived and the exact number of dead and injured may not be known for some time.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:49 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 13:32 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 11:51 CET Tunisia says senior militant commander killed in raid
- 11:49 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades
- 11:46 CET Pope, on Palm Sunday, pays tribute to ‘today’s martyrs’
- 11:45 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 10:16 CET Earthquake measuring 5.9 magnitude strikes in Moluccas, Indonesia…
- 08:27 CET Tunisian forces kill nine militants in south before solidarity…