A bomb has been detonated in Istanbul targeting police near the headquarters of Turkey’s ruling AK Party.
Authorities say 15 officers and a civilian were injured after the device was triggered by remote control as a police bus passed by.
Istanbul’s governor said the bomb contained plastic explosive. Police sources said it had been hidden on a motorbike at a road junction.
One eyewitness told euronews: “I was in a minibus, and as we were driving alongside the police van we heard the explosion. I saw the tyres blow out. I saw the blast and felt a strong impact from the explosion. We stopped and ran back to find the injured policemen.”
So far, no one has claimed the attack, though Kurdish separatists, Islamist militants – including al-Qaeda – and extreme left- and right-wing groups have all carried out attacks in Turkey.
Our correspondent in Istanbul, Bora Bayraktar, said: “The police van continued a further 100 metres after the explosion. Investigators are searching the vehicle for clues about the attackers.”
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Latest world news
Hungary’s parliament approves ‘anti-migrant’ border fence
Stocks slightly lower after Greek vote
Nigeria: Scores killed in Jos in attacks blamed on Boko Haram
“I don’t understand it at all”, residents of Aachen react to Greek ‘No’
Turkish fury as minority Muslims ‘banned from fasting’ in China
Wires > News
- 17:40 CET Armenian protesters call for evening rally after police remove…
- 17:30 CET Britain’s EU ‘outers’ see opportunity in wake of Greece’s ‘No’
- 17:04 CET Ukraine launches Western-style police force to set a marker for…
- 16:30 CET Ukraine corruption probe finds diamonds, cash, Kalashnikov
- 16:02 CET Kuwait detains 26 over Islamic State suicide attack on mosque -…
- 15:30 CET BRICS summit gives Putin a chance to show Russia not isolated
- 15:26 CET Insight – Tensions with Russia could prompt NATO strategy rethink
- 15:21 CET MP tells anti-gay rally: Obama should not push gay agenda in Kenya