Around half of the wetlands across the Mediterranean basin have been lost over the past century, say environmental campaigners.
Recently, some 350 specialists converged on the city of Agadir in Morocco for a regional wetlands conference.
Campaigners warn that ponds, marshes and mangroves are under threat from urbanisation, tourism, agriculture, industry and pollution.
Experts say only urgent co-ordinated government action can stem the crisis.
- 1Robot tries to unlock Giza pyramid’s secrets
- 2Do you know: is plastic packaging bad for your health?
- 3Italy’s army bringing down the cost of getting high on medical marijuana
- 4Supergrass: harvesting the energy potential of riverbank plants
- 5Retreating ice reveals climate secrets on Qori Kalis glacier
latest science news
Retreating ice reveals climate secrets on Qori Kalis glacier
Italy’s army bringing down the cost of getting high on medical marijuana
Powerful MRI scanners could predict diseases
Sardinian thistles play key role in bioplastics
Cardiac microchip provides advance warning of future heart problems