29/02/12 16:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
No more austerity! That was the demand from unions in Brussels a day before EU leaders are due to gather in the city for a summit which will be crowned with a new fiscal treaty.
The pact’s aim is to control deficits in the bloc, but as in other parts of Europe which also saw protest action, demonstrators called for a new strategy.
‘‘Come up with another policy, your policy of austerity isn’t working and is creating a gulf between citizens and you the leaders of Europe.’‘ said one protester.
‘‘Greece is in the red. But Swiss banks hold Greek assets which are worth three times more than that country’s public debt, so there is a way of finding the money without workers having to pay,’‘ said another women at the rally which was held in front of the EU Commission.
Reporting from the protest euronews’ Gülsüm Alan said: “As anti-austerity rallies take place across Europe, EU leaders are getting ready to sign on new fiscal treaty here in Brussels this Friday. Instead of solving the bloc’s problems Unions believe it will only plunge Europe into a deeper recession.”
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…