No more austerity! That was the demand from unions in Brussels a day before EU leaders are due to gather in the city for a summit which will be crowned with a new fiscal treaty.
The pact’s aim is to control deficits in the bloc, but as in other parts of Europe which also saw protest action, demonstrators called for a new strategy.
‘‘Come up with another policy, your policy of austerity isn’t working and is creating a gulf between citizens and you the leaders of Europe.’‘ said one protester.
‘‘Greece is in the red. But Swiss banks hold Greek assets which are worth three times more than that country’s public debt, so there is a way of finding the money without workers having to pay,’‘ said another women at the rally which was held in front of the EU Commission.
Reporting from the protest euronews’ Gülsüm Alan said: “As anti-austerity rallies take place across Europe, EU leaders are getting ready to sign on new fiscal treaty here in Brussels this Friday. Instead of solving the bloc’s problems Unions believe it will only plunge Europe into a deeper recession.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 11:22 CET Iran is complying with nuclear deal with powers – IAEA
- 11:20 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.- Japan summit
- 10:39 CET India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining…
- 10:27 CET Japan makes two more oil payments to Iran – sources
- 10:04 CET Chinese police shoot man dead at checkpoint in Xinjiang
- 07:35 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry accident
- 07:06 CET Reports of e-cigarette injury jump amid rising popularity, …
- 05:20 CET China releases blogger on bail, jails another amid rumour crackdown