No more austerity! That was the demand from unions in Brussels a day before EU leaders are due to gather in the city for a summit which will be crowned with a new fiscal treaty.
The pact’s aim is to control deficits in the bloc, but as in other parts of Europe which also saw protest action, demonstrators called for a new strategy.
‘‘Come up with another policy, your policy of austerity isn’t working and is creating a gulf between citizens and you the leaders of Europe.’‘ said one protester.
‘‘Greece is in the red. But Swiss banks hold Greek assets which are worth three times more than that country’s public debt, so there is a way of finding the money without workers having to pay,’‘ said another women at the rally which was held in front of the EU Commission.
Reporting from the protest euronews’ Gülsüm Alan said: “As anti-austerity rallies take place across Europe, EU leaders are getting ready to sign on new fiscal treaty here in Brussels this Friday. Instead of solving the bloc’s problems Unions believe it will only plunge Europe into a deeper recession.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 06:08 CET India floods derail two trains, killing at least 20; hundreds…
- 05:05 CET Kerry says to discuss South China Sea tensions with China’s Wang
- 04:52 CET China appeals for U.S. help to fight Xinjiang militants
- 04:51 CET FBI looking into security of Clinton private email account -…
- 04:05 CET Fewer Germans going to Syria, Iraq to fight for Islamic State -…
- 03:57 CET Australia says initial MH370 debris drift models gave wrong clues
- 02:22 CET Chile’s lawmakers take key step toward decriminalising abortion
- 01:05 CET New Taliban leader moves fast to heal rifts in Afghan insurgency