A cruise ship owned by the same company that operated the ill-fated Costa Concordia has been rescued by a French fishing vessel.
The Costa Allegra is now being towed to the Seychelles.
The ship had been drifting without power since Monday when a fire knocked out its generators.
The Seychelles government said armed guards are onboard.
“It is a risk we do have pirates in the Western Indian Ocean fortunately none were sighted within the vicinity of this vessel,” said Srdjana Janosevic, a government spokeswoman.
“But it is a risk and we advise any ships that travel that far away from the main islands to have armed guards onboard. This cruise ship would have those armed guards to respond if they were attacked.”
There are 636 passengers and 413 onboard the Allegra and authorities said arrangements are being made to fly then out of the country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police
- 19:01 CET Thai junta gives security forces majority in interim legislature
- 18:55 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion due in U.S