A cruise ship owned by the same company that operated the ill-fated Costa Concordia has been rescued by a French fishing vessel.
The Costa Allegra is now being towed to the Seychelles.
The ship had been drifting without power since Monday when a fire knocked out its generators.
The Seychelles government said armed guards are onboard.
“It is a risk we do have pirates in the Western Indian Ocean fortunately none were sighted within the vicinity of this vessel,” said Srdjana Janosevic, a government spokeswoman.
“But it is a risk and we advise any ships that travel that far away from the main islands to have armed guards onboard. This cruise ship would have those armed guards to respond if they were attacked.”
There are 636 passengers and 413 onboard the Allegra and authorities said arrangements are being made to fly then out of the country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET U.S. airlines halt flights to Israel due to instability
- 18:46 CET Indonesian president-elect Jokowi calls for unity after bitter…
- 18:26 CET Central African Republic rebels demand partition in Brazzaville…
- 18:15 CET IAEA worried about slow progress in Iran nuclear probe- sources
- 18:01 CET Russia may ask rich to help foot bill for Crimea with ‘solidarity…
- 17:37 CET Sri Lankan hardline Buddhist links Dalai Lama to Muslim extremism
- 17:32 CET Syrian opposition coalition dissolves interim government
- 16:59 CET Italy arrests five for mass murder during boat crossing