A cruise ship owned by the same company that operated the ill-fated Costa Concordia has been rescued by a French fishing vessel.
The Costa Allegra is now being towed to the Seychelles.
The ship had been drifting without power since Monday when a fire knocked out its generators.
The Seychelles government said armed guards are onboard.
“It is a risk we do have pirates in the Western Indian Ocean fortunately none were sighted within the vicinity of this vessel,” said Srdjana Janosevic, a government spokeswoman.
“But it is a risk and we advise any ships that travel that far away from the main islands to have armed guards onboard. This cruise ship would have those armed guards to respond if they were attacked.”
There are 636 passengers and 413 onboard the Allegra and authorities said arrangements are being made to fly then out of the country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 3Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 4Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 5Spain: Singer Isabel Pantoja jailed for two years
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 12:44 CET Tunisians vote for first freely elected president
- 12:43 CET Prospects rise for a 2015 U.N. climate deal, but likely to be weak
- 12:34 CET Moldova, eyeing Ukraine, divided on Europe integration as election…
- 12:13 CET Israeli forces kill Palestinian along Gaza border – Palestinian…
- 11:57 CET Italy regional votes to test public mood on Renzi
- 11:48 CET Zimbabwe’s Mugabe tightens grip on party, to choose successor
- 11:47 CET Two senior Thai police face royal insult charge as cases mount
- 11:45 CET Putin says Russia is not isolated over Ukraine crisis – TASS