French President Nicolas Sarkozy is working on a new “genocide” bill after the Constitutional Council threw out one currently under consideration.
The law would make it criminal to deny several massacres – including a 1915 mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks – were genocide.
The ruling has been welcomed by Ankara.
“We were expecting this decision,” said Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu. “It is an important decision and development. The French Constitutional Court made the right decision from the view of international law, human rights and European values which all of us defend.”
The Council says the bill infringes freedom of expression enshrined in France’s founding documents.
But Armenians are furious. They took to the streets of Paris claiming Turkey – which froze economic and military contacts with France over the affair – was dictating French law.
“This is a political decision,” said Ara Torianian of the Council of Armenian Organisations in France. “The Constitutional Council has effectively ceded to pressure from Turkey and the pressure from the military industrial lobby.”
Turkey accepts many Armenians died in 1915 but denies Ottoman forces were committing genocide, arguing there were massacres and counter massacres on either side.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 2Interview: The consequences of Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 3Female pilot jailed in Russia proclaimed a ‘hero of Ukraine’
- 4Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET Exclusive – Obama says Iran must halt key nuclear work for at…
- 00:32 CET Obama, Israel’s Netanyahu clash over Iran diplomacy
- 00:25 CET Somali-American on FBI watch list detained in Somalia: source
- 23:42 CET Cuba signals readiness to fast-track U.S. diplomatic ties
- 23:38 CET Bomb near top Cairo court house kills two; other blasts hit capital
- 23:23 CET Exclusive – Obama hopes for U.S. embassy in Cuba before April…
- 23:20 CET Exclusive – Obama defends lack of ‘Plan B’ for Obamacare court case
- 23:19 CET Exclusive – Nemtsov killing sign of worsening climate in Russia…