French President Nicolas Sarkozy is working on a new “genocide” bill after the Constitutional Council threw out one currently under consideration.
The law would make it criminal to deny several massacres – including a 1915 mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks – were genocide.
The ruling has been welcomed by Ankara.
“We were expecting this decision,” said Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu. “It is an important decision and development. The French Constitutional Court made the right decision from the view of international law, human rights and European values which all of us defend.”
The Council says the bill infringes freedom of expression enshrined in France’s founding documents.
But Armenians are furious. They took to the streets of Paris claiming Turkey – which froze economic and military contacts with France over the affair – was dictating French law.
“This is a political decision,” said Ara Torianian of the Council of Armenian Organisations in France. “The Constitutional Council has effectively ceded to pressure from Turkey and the pressure from the military industrial lobby.”
Turkey accepts many Armenians died in 1915 but denies Ottoman forces were committing genocide, arguing there were massacres and counter massacres on either side.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Fears of contagion in Europe after UK Brexit vote
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:25 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…
- 19:34 CET Spanish court urges trial of ex-Catalan leader over referendum
- 19:28 CET Germany girds for potential spike in Islamic State attacks in…
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…