Now Reading:

Shelling continues despite Syrian vote

world news

Shelling continues despite Syrian vote


By midday Sunday, it was estimated more than 30 civilians and security personnel had been killed across Syria, despite the country holding a referendum on a new constitution.

Much of the violence again centered around the city of Homs. The bombardment of opposition districts there is now in its fourth week. The Baba Amro district is said to have been without food or water for three days power in Homs is cut for up to 18 hours a day.

Clashes have also been reported in the central city of Hama and the Deraa district of Damascus.

The Syrian Red Cross and the ICRC have not managed to get any injured out of Homs since Friday.

Among the wounded still trapped are two Western journalists, Edith Bouvier and Paul Conroy.

Efforts are also being made to recover the bodies of two more, Marie Colvin and Remi Ochlik, who were killed last week.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news