Ukrainian singer Gaitana won the hearts of the judges in her bid to represent her country in the Eurovision Song Contest this year.
However, the 32-year-old, who was born in Kiev to a Congolese father and a Ukrainian mother has scored, “nul points” from a politician who has said she is not representative of Ukraine because of the colour of her skin.
“It is not only about me, it is about every person who regards him or herself free in this world, who wants to be free. It’s a real shame the nationalist party has made such a racist statement. They ruin Ukraine’s reputation in the face of Europe and the whole world,” she said.
World heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko and leader of the Udar party has slammed the statement from Yuri Sirotyuk, a high-ranking member of the Svoboda party, which is not represented in parliament.
“People who start to speculate on national issues like this, on the issue of language don’t have any perspective. They may get short-term support but no long term gain,” Klitschko opined.
National Television, which held the contest where Gaitana was selected, has demanded Sirotyuk apologise. Some believe it highlights a problem that legislation is not being enforced.
“Comparing Ukraine to other European countries, we do have legislation on racism and xenophobia but it is not being used to sentence those who are guilty and to develop a culture where people are held responsible for their actions and words,” explained Yana Salakhova from the International Organisation for Migration.
- 1YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 2Dutch PM calls on Russia to cooperate with MH17 probe
- 3Three Israelis killed in Jerusalem in day of violence
- 4Brussels wants Hungary’s answers over migrants crackdown
- 5Six-hundred-year-old Henry V warship ‘found in English river’
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 03:58 CET Rousseff accuses Brazil opposition of ‘coup-mongering’
- 02:52 CET Chile fires starting gun on new constitution
- 02:25 CET Kerry to visit Mideast in bid to calm Palestinian-Israeli tensions
- 02:20 CET Search in Guatemala landslide ends with 280 dead, 70 missing
- 00:33 CET Syria’s army, allies plan offensive against insurgents in Aleppo
- 00:20 CET Blasts in northeast Nigeria’s Maiduguri kill at least seven – Red…
- 00:05 CET U.S., Australia rebuff China over South China Sea
- 23:36 CET Exclusive – Syrian army, allies preparing attack in Aleppo area…