Ukrainian singer Gaitana won the hearts of the judges in her bid to represent her country in the Eurovision Song Contest this year.
However, the 32-year-old, who was born in Kiev to a Congolese father and a Ukrainian mother has scored, “nul points” from a politician who has said she is not representative of Ukraine because of the colour of her skin.
“It is not only about me, it is about every person who regards him or herself free in this world, who wants to be free. It’s a real shame the nationalist party has made such a racist statement. They ruin Ukraine’s reputation in the face of Europe and the whole world,” she said.
World heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko and leader of the Udar party has slammed the statement from Yuri Sirotyuk, a high-ranking member of the Svoboda party, which is not represented in parliament.
“People who start to speculate on national issues like this, on the issue of language don’t have any perspective. They may get short-term support but no long term gain,” Klitschko opined.
National Television, which held the contest where Gaitana was selected, has demanded Sirotyuk apologise. Some believe it highlights a problem that legislation is not being enforced.
“Comparing Ukraine to other European countries, we do have legislation on racism and xenophobia but it is not being used to sentence those who are guilty and to develop a culture where people are held responsible for their actions and words,” explained Yana Salakhova from the International Organisation for Migration.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:44 CET Turkish Airlines flight lands in Casablanca after bomb threat
- 14:35 CET Germany says Greece must flesh out reforms to unlock aid
- 13:55 CET Hong Kong activists use newspaper petition to warn of academic…
- 13:42 CET War crimes court revokes Serb nationalist Seselj’s compassionate…
- 13:38 CET Searchers build roadway to remote France air crash site
- 13:12 CET Taiwan seeks stronger cyber security ties with U.S. to counter…
- 13:03 CET Serbian nationalist rebuffs order to return to war crimes court
- 12:39 CET Thailand detains 76 migrants found on train, including Rohingya