Ukrainian singer Gaitana won the hearts of the judges in her bid to represent her country in the Eurovision Song Contest this year.
However, the 32-year-old, who was born in Kiev to a Congolese father and a Ukrainian mother has scored, “nul points” from a politician who has said she is not representative of Ukraine because of the colour of her skin.
“It is not only about me, it is about every person who regards him or herself free in this world, who wants to be free. It’s a real shame the nationalist party has made such a racist statement. They ruin Ukraine’s reputation in the face of Europe and the whole world,” she said.
World heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko and leader of the Udar party has slammed the statement from Yuri Sirotyuk, a high-ranking member of the Svoboda party, which is not represented in parliament.
“People who start to speculate on national issues like this, on the issue of language don’t have any perspective. They may get short-term support but no long term gain,” Klitschko opined.
National Television, which held the contest where Gaitana was selected, has demanded Sirotyuk apologise. Some believe it highlights a problem that legislation is not being enforced.
“Comparing Ukraine to other European countries, we do have legislation on racism and xenophobia but it is not being used to sentence those who are guilty and to develop a culture where people are held responsible for their actions and words,” explained Yana Salakhova from the International Organisation for Migration.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel
- 2Russian military vehicles ‘seized in Ukraine’
- 3Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine
- 4Political turbulence in Ukraine as Poroshenko prepares to dissolve parliament
- 5[As it happened] Newsday: Russian aid convoy – Islamic State – Gaza – Ebola
- 1Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus
- 2Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel
- 3Orange alert: Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption
- 4Islamic State militants threaten US over air strikes in Iraq
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 7Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 8Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 9Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 10Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 13Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 17A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 18EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > News
- 15:48 CET 12 dead, 36,000 homeless in Niger flooding
- 14:54 CET Boat with 170 Africans on board sinks off Libyan coast
- 14:47 CET Unidentified war planes attack Tripoli again
- 13:48 CET Ivory Coast closes western borders over Ebola threat
- 13:38 CET Ivory Coast shuts borders with Liberia, Guinea over Ebola threat
- 12:55 CET One dead in shooting at mosque in Switzerland – police
- 11:37 CET Yemen government offers to resign within a month to end Houthi…
- 11:13 CET Philippines recalls peacekeepers from Liberia over Ebola threat