The Syrian city of Homs remained under fire for a 20th consecutive day on Thursday as Lebanese intelligence reports show the Assad regime is deliberately trying to kill Western journalists.
Officials in Lebanon said they interecepted calls in which Syrian army chiefs allegedly discussed how they would claim reporters had been killed in crossfire.
The reports said there were direct orders to attack a makeshift media centre in Homs in which two western journalists were killed and three others wounded.
Le Figaro’s Edith Bouvier was one of those injured. She has appealed to be evacuated from the city to Lebanon as she needs an operation on a broken leg.
Two photographers were also injured in the attack: Britain’s Paul Conroy and Paris-based William Daniels.
Sunday Times correspondent Marie Colvin and French photographer Remi Ochlik died in the shelling on Wednesday.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy said their deaths amounted to “murder”.
The group of journalists had been based in the Sunni Muslim neighbourhood of Babr Amr where members of the rebel Free Syrian Army are entrenched. Their bodies are yet to be recovered.
An unverified amateur video posted on YouTube purports to show the place where the two corpses lie.
In the video, a man calls on the European Union to intervene in Syria. “Now the blood of Syrians runs alongside the blood of Europeans,” he said.