Rami al-Sayed is one of Syria’s citizen journalists to have ignored state censorship in an attempt to show the world what is happening in their country.
He was killed on Tuesday during the heavy shelling of Baba Amr, a rebel stronghold in Homs, at the very centre of the uprising against the regime of Bashar al Assad that started just over a year ago. Human rights activists say he was killed by shrapnel when the building he was filming from was shelled.
Al-Sayed was born in 1985 and had a one-year-old daughter. He was one of the first citizens to film and upload what was going on in Homs.
Much of the footage he had uploaded to his Youtube channel Syriapionnier contains scenes of graphic violence that some viewers may find distressing.
Other images show al-Sayed filming the general atmosphere in Homs.
As well as some rare and more relaxed moments of detente in what has become an extremely bitter and bloody struggle.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 5Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud
- 15:18 CET South Sudan deploys army to guard U.N. base after attack kills…
- 14:49 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 13:57 CET Libyan kidnappers of Tunisian diplomat demand Islamists’ release
- 13:34 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 13:29 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 13:25 CET Indonesia’s ex-general Prabowo edges closer to presidential race
- 13:19 CET Italy government prepares to approve tax cuts