Rami al-Sayed is one of Syria’s citizen journalists to have ignored state censorship in an attempt to show the world what is happening in their country.
He was killed on Tuesday during the heavy shelling of Baba Amr, a rebel stronghold in Homs, at the very centre of the uprising against the regime of Bashar al Assad that started just over a year ago. Human rights activists say he was killed by shrapnel when the building he was filming from was shelled.
Al-Sayed was born in 1985 and had a one-year-old daughter. He was one of the first citizens to film and upload what was going on in Homs.
Much of the footage he had uploaded to his Youtube channel Syriapionnier contains scenes of graphic violence that some viewers may find distressing.
Other images show al-Sayed filming the general atmosphere in Homs.
As well as some rare and more relaxed moments of detente in what has become an extremely bitter and bloody struggle.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:22 CET On eve of poll, Ukraine leader seeks support for pro-Europe course
- 17:16 CET Canada’s Parliament Hill reopens following Wednesday shooting
- 16:46 CET Protesters march against Renzi labour reforms in Rome
- 16:37 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, two soldiers killed
- 16:17 CET U.S., allies stage 22 air strikes in Iraq – U.S. Central Command
- 16:14 CET In rural Tunisia, economic malaise weighs on voters
- 15:52 CET Kurdish forces retake north Iraqi town from Islamic State
- 15:34 CET Al Qaeda militants push back Shi’ite rebels’ advance on central…