Rami al-Sayed is one of Syria’s citizen journalists to have ignored state censorship in an attempt to show the world what is happening in their country.
He was killed on Tuesday during the heavy shelling of Baba Amr, a rebel stronghold in Homs, at the very centre of the uprising against the regime of Bashar al Assad that started just over a year ago. Human rights activists say he was killed by shrapnel when the building he was filming from was shelled.
Al-Sayed was born in 1985 and had a one-year-old daughter. He was one of the first citizens to film and upload what was going on in Homs.
Much of the footage he had uploaded to his Youtube channel Syriapionnier contains scenes of graphic violence that some viewers may find distressing.
Other images show al-Sayed filming the general atmosphere in Homs.
As well as some rare and more relaxed moments of detente in what has become an extremely bitter and bloody struggle.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 07:06 CET Japan’s Abe seeks to showcase close U.S. ties on landmark visit
- 06:22 CET South Korea court finds ferry captain guilty of homicide for 304…
- 06:21 CET Japan PM won’t attend Russian WW2 ceremony – government spokesman
- 05:28 CET Baltimore erupts in riots after funeral of man who died in police…
- 05:06 CET China probes doctor over $18 million bribes, 100 houses
- 02:50 CET Kerry says Iran, world powers closer than ever to historic nuclear…
- 00:06 CET Mali pro-government militias seize northern town amid clashes
- 22:12 CET Gunman kills Bosnian policeman in apparent Islamist attack