Iran has started a four-day military exercise aimed at protecting its nuclear sites from an attack.
Missiles, anti-aircraft artillery, radars and warplanes are being deployed, according to state media
It comes amid speculation that Israel may attack one or several sites as tensions mount between Tehran and the West.
Iran says it has stopped selling oil to Britain and France as a retaliation for sanctions.
French Foreign Minister Alain Juppé dismissed Iran’s announcement.
“We decided to stop our orders,” he said. “Our deliveries from Iran are pretty marginal in relation to our total purchases. I repeat that it is the EU that decided to put an embargo on Iranian oil sales.”
A EU ban on Iranian oil comes into force in July and a number of countries have already cut back on orders.
Tehran denies it is seeking the means to build nuclear weapons.
Senior UN inspectors arrived in the country on Monday.
They are there to seek answers from the Iranian government regarding intelligence that there are “possible military dimensions” to its atomic programme.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 09:20 CET Japan offers vessels to Vietnam to boost its sea strength
- 09:12 CET Algerian capital hit by 5.5 quake, no reports of damage
- 09:07 CET Gas blast in Taiwan kills 25, injures 267, topples buildings
- 07:57 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 06:35 CET China’s Xi pledges hard strike against military corruption
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729