It is competition time for 13 top-league samba schools who are all fighting for titles at this year’s carnival in Rio de Janeiro.
Every school has dozens of subgroups, each with its own brilliant costumes. More than 4,000 samba troupe members will dance and swivel their way down the city’s Sambadrome parade avenue.
Around 80 per cent of those taking part are poor local people who receive their costumes free. Others, who are mostly Brazilian, pay up to 300 euros to take part.
Watching them are around 80,000 spectators and of course a worldwide television audience.
The five-day carnival in Rio, which started on Friday, is more than just official parades. Whole areas across the city host block parties which attract thousands.
This year about 850,000 tourists are said to be in Rio.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET Three more Ukrainian soldiers killed – Kiev military
- 12:11 CET Bomber targeted police commander in Afghan volleyball game attack
- 11:32 CET India names special envoy for China border talks
- 10:53 CET China says parties to Iran deal will ‘eventually reach’ agreement
- 10:24 CET China defies U.S. call to stop island project in South China Sea
- 09:54 CET Bangladesh ex-ruling party leader gets death for war crimes
- 09:31 CET Italy’s Renzi wins regional polls, low turnout sends warning
- 08:56 CET Philippines fines Chinese fishermen $102,000 each for poaching