In the Siberian city of Barnaul, anti-Vladimir Putin protesters got round a local ban on demonstrations by substituting themselves with toys.
It was just one of a weekend of rallies in Russia both for and against Putin’s plan to stand for re-election as president on March 4.
In Moscow, hundreds adorned their cars with white ribbons and balloons which have become the symbol of the largest protest movement against Putin’s 12-year rule.
The anti-Putin rallies began after December’s disputed parliamentary election handed the prime minister’s United Russia party a slim majority.
Putin supporters drove along Moscow’s main ring road streaming Russian flags behind them on Saturday night.
Those for Putin say he led the country out of chaos after the collapse of the Soviet Union and oversaw a rise in living standards.
His detractors are against his re-election which could see him stay in power until 2024.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
Wires > News
- 09:06 CET U.S.-backed Syrian rebels clash with IS fighters in border town -…
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down