In the Siberian city of Barnaul, anti-Vladimir Putin protesters got round a local ban on demonstrations by substituting themselves with toys.
It was just one of a weekend of rallies in Russia both for and against Putin’s plan to stand for re-election as president on March 4.
In Moscow, hundreds adorned their cars with white ribbons and balloons which have become the symbol of the largest protest movement against Putin’s 12-year rule.
The anti-Putin rallies began after December’s disputed parliamentary election handed the prime minister’s United Russia party a slim majority.
Putin supporters drove along Moscow’s main ring road streaming Russian flags behind them on Saturday night.
Those for Putin say he led the country out of chaos after the collapse of the Soviet Union and oversaw a rise in living standards.
His detractors are against his re-election which could see him stay in power until 2024.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 9Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 14Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 15British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 16Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 17The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 18Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:54 CET Libyan soldiers killed in Benghazi attacks
- 14:47 CET French forces kill at least five after Central Africa clashes
- 14:42 CET Blasts kill 15 people at Bulgaria explosives plant
- 14:29 CET Swedish parliament confirms Social Democrat’s Lofven as new PM
- 13:47 CET Latvia heads to election under shadow of assertive Russia
- 13:44 CET Parcel containing bomb materials sent to Greek stock exchange
- 12:23 CET Five dead in helicopter crash in France near Swiss border
- 12:20 CET Putin says sanctions will not stop Russia becoming economic power