Up to two million party-goers filled the streets of downtown Rio de Janeiro on Saturday for the annual Carnival, which is now in its 93rd year.
Tourists described the atmosphere as electric.
“We are staying outside of the city and we have been brought by a couple of locals,” said UK tourist Marie Sykes. “And yeah, it is amazing. It has already surpassed all of our expectations. It’s brilliant.”
Organisers said Rio authorities had cut funding for the festival and restricted the usual parade through the city centre.
However, Carnival fans who have flown in from all over the world didn’t seem to notice. One told euronews the festivities were “the most fun” they had had “in their whole life”.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 04:05 CET Fewer Germans going to Syria, Iraq to fight for Islamic State -…
- 03:57 CET Australia says initial MH370 debris drift models gave wrong clues
- 02:22 CET Chile’s lawmakers take key step toward decriminalising abortion
- 01:05 CET New Taliban leader moves fast to heal rifts in Afghan insurgency
- 23:57 CET Helicopter accident kills 16 police officers in Colombia
- 23:53 CET U.S. House to vote on Iran deal disapproval resolution
- 22:48 CET Germany sacks top prosecutor in row over treason inquiry
- 22:46 CET First Israeli jailed without trial in sweep over West Bank arson