Up to two million party-goers filled the streets of downtown Rio de Janeiro on Saturday for the annual Carnival, which is now in its 93rd year.
Tourists described the atmosphere as electric.
“We are staying outside of the city and we have been brought by a couple of locals,” said UK tourist Marie Sykes. “And yeah, it is amazing. It has already surpassed all of our expectations. It’s brilliant.”
Organisers said Rio authorities had cut funding for the festival and restricted the usual parade through the city centre.
However, Carnival fans who have flown in from all over the world didn’t seem to notice. One told euronews the festivities were “the most fun” they had had “in their whole life”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 11:41 CET British lawmakers blame complacency for Taliban attack on base
- 11:32 CET China shadow looms large over bid to scrap Tiananmen crackdown…
- 11:29 CET More than 300 people missing after South Korean ferry sinks -…
- 11:17 CET Former Egypt finance minister released hours after arrest in…
- 10:41 CET Gunmen kill nine in western Ethiopia bus attack – state media
- 09:54 CET Passage of South Stream pipeline via Turkey possible – minister
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…
- 05:21 CET Australian state premier resigns over A$3,000 bottle of wine gift