The Berlin International Film Festival Golden Bear award for best picture was won on Saturday by an Italian docu-drama starring real-life murderers and mafioso.
Directed by 80 and 82-year-old brothers Paolo and Vittorio Taviani, “Caesar Must Die” follows a group of convicts at a Rome jail as they rehearse a prison production of Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar.
The film was shot in black and white and the roles are played by hardened convicts serving sentences of between 14 years and life.
The winners were decided by a jury that included British writer and director Mike Leigh, Anglo-French actress Charlotte Gainsbourg and Hollywood actor Jake Gyllenhaal.
“The jury surprised everybody by awarding the Golden Bear to a film that’s half art-house, half documentary,” said Wolfgang Spindler, euronews correspondent in Berlin.
Most critics thought the film Barbara, set in communist East Germany, would win the top prize.
Its director, Christian Petzold, won the Silver Bear for the story about a doctor who was banished to the countryside after requesting a visa to move to the West.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court
- 19:17 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 19:17 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 19:02 CET Mega salaries are evil, papal preacher tells Good Friday service
- 18:45 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 18:44 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika wins re-election with 81.5 percent – official…
- 18:06 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings