A Moroccan man has been arrested on terrorism charges after allegedly being caught wearing a vest full of explosives near the US Capitol building in Washington.
Amine El Khalifi, who police say is an illegal immigrant, was arrested at a car park just a few blocks from the US Congress.
The 29-year-old faces up to life in prison if convicted of trying to “use a weapon of mass destruction on US property”.
Officials say they had been monitoring El Khalifi for many months. While he thought he was dealing with members of al Qaeda, they were really undercover FBI agents.
Court records suggest he has been in the US for 13 years. An FBI affidavit claims El Khalifi had agreed that the war on terrorism was a “war on Muslims”.
The statement also alleges that he conducted surveillance in the area several times before Friday’s planned attack.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 19:01 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official
- 17:48 CET Syrian air strikes kill dozens at market near Aleppo -report