Two weeks of colourful and noisy mayhem are underway in Brazil with the opening the carnival.
Rio de Janeiro’s mayor said he was happy to hand over responsibility for the city to the traditional festival overlord, King Momo. The Lord of Misrule, as he’s known, declared the Carnival open at a ceremony in which the mayor handed him a symbolic key to the city.
The highlight of the event will be the parades on Sunday and Monday, when Samba bands and thousands of dancers frolick through the streets.
Brazil’s unique pageant is bringing much needed relief after recent strikes that have fuelled economic worries.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 09:57 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 09:26 CET Three foreigners killed in attack in Afghan hospital – security…
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week
- 08:36 CET Historic canonisation of two popes brings joy and controversy
- 07:48 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border
- 06:54 CET Japan’s Abe: Continue to gain understanding of his Yasukuni visit
- 06:06 CET Australia rules out link between debris and Malaysian plane