Two weeks of colourful and noisy mayhem are underway in Brazil with the opening the carnival.
Rio de Janeiro’s mayor said he was happy to hand over responsibility for the city to the traditional festival overlord, King Momo. The Lord of Misrule, as he’s known, declared the Carnival open at a ceremony in which the mayor handed him a symbolic key to the city.
The highlight of the event will be the parades on Sunday and Monday, when Samba bands and thousands of dancers frolick through the streets.
Brazil’s unique pageant is bringing much needed relief after recent strikes that have fuelled economic worries.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 4Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Destination Indiana in the presidential primary trail
Wires > News
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…
- 06:02 CET Pakistan raps Trump over vow to free doctor who helped track bin…
- 05:47 CET Murders drop sharply in El Salvador in April, police say
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest