Two weeks of colourful and noisy mayhem are underway in Brazil with the opening the carnival.
Rio de Janeiro’s mayor said he was happy to hand over responsibility for the city to the traditional festival overlord, King Momo. The Lord of Misrule, as he’s known, declared the Carnival open at a ceremony in which the mayor handed him a symbolic key to the city.
The highlight of the event will be the parades on Sunday and Monday, when Samba bands and thousands of dancers frolick through the streets.
Brazil’s unique pageant is bringing much needed relief after recent strikes that have fuelled economic worries.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 17:18 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 17:10 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 17:05 CET Poles most worried about their independence in at least 23 years -…
- 16:35 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 16:24 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 16:00 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 15:59 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud