In a ceremony at the Vatican attended by Pope Benedict XVI 22 Roman Catholic bishops are to be elevated to cardinal.
The service at St Peter’s Basilica, comes amid rumours of a power struggle inside the Vatican to be the Pope’s successor.
Allegations of financial mismanagement have also been leaked to the Italian media.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Britain’s European Commissioner Jonathan Hill resigns after Brexit vote
Britain’s EU Commissioner Jonathan Hill, who oversees EU Finance sector is resigning
EU foreign ministers demand quick divorce from Britain
World Anti-Doping Agency suspends Rio drug testing laboratory
Pope Francis says ‘never again’ to Armenians massacred in WWI
Wires > News
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…
- 16:44 CET Merkel calls for sober EU divorce talks with ‘partner’ Britain
- 16:42 CET Palestinian leader retracts rabbis water poisoning allegation
- 14:12 CET After Islamist attacks, Tunisia’s tourism struggles