The United Nations General Assembly has overwhelming passed a non-binding resolution calling on Syrian President Bashar Assad to step aside. The Arab-backed text also calls for an end to the bloodshed in Syria.
It received support from 137 UN members. There were 17 abstentions.
Just 12 countries voted against. Russia, Iran, and China were amongst those who refused to back the call for Assad to go. Moscow and Beijing vetoed a similar draft at the Security Council on February 4th, citing opposition to regime change.
On Thursday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon told Syrian authorities to stop killing civilians, saying crimes against humanity may have been committed.
Activists say more than 7,000 people have died since March in the uprising against the Assad family’s four decade rule.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 09:29 CET North Korea says to freeze assets of South Korean firms at Kaesong
- 09:27 CET Greek navy helicopter crashes in Aegean, three feared dead
- 09:20 CET Exclusive – Australia directed officials how to address Nauru…
- 09:11 CET Dozens face riot charges over Hong Kong Lunar New Year violence
- 08:57 CET Thailand’s ‘sea gypsies’ fight for access to ancestral shrines
- 08:54 CET Bangladesh upholds death sentences over 2004 attack on British…
- 08:43 CET Angola says 37 dead in yellow fever outbreak
- 07:59 CET Australian looks set for climate sceptic deputy PM