The United Nations General Assembly has overwhelming passed a non-binding resolution calling on Syrian President Bashar Assad to step aside. The Arab-backed text also calls for an end to the bloodshed in Syria.
It received support from 137 UN members. There were 17 abstentions.
Just 12 countries voted against. Russia, Iran, and China were amongst those who refused to back the call for Assad to go. Moscow and Beijing vetoed a similar draft at the Security Council on February 4th, citing opposition to regime change.
On Thursday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon told Syrian authorities to stop killing civilians, saying crimes against humanity may have been committed.
Activists say more than 7,000 people have died since March in the uprising against the Assad family’s four decade rule.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…