The United Nations General Assembly has overwhelming passed a non-binding resolution calling on Syrian President Bashar Assad to step aside. The Arab-backed text also calls for an end to the bloodshed in Syria.
It received support from 137 UN members. There were 17 abstentions.
Just 12 countries voted against. Russia, Iran, and China were amongst those who refused to back the call for Assad to go. Moscow and Beijing vetoed a similar draft at the Security Council on February 4th, citing opposition to regime change.
On Thursday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon told Syrian authorities to stop killing civilians, saying crimes against humanity may have been committed.
Activists say more than 7,000 people have died since March in the uprising against the Assad family’s four decade rule.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 16:28 CET At least 15 dead in Israeli shelling of Gaza school – Health…
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president
- 16:16 CET Mediterranean boat people numbers soar to near 100,000 this year
- 16:14 CET Missing Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso has crashed – Algerian…
- 15:46 CET Russia concerned by U.S. proposal for missile shield in South Korea
- 14:39 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions draft
- 14:11 CET Islamists planning imminent attack in Norway – police
- 13:42 CET Russian court finds Putin foes guilty of inciting mass riots