The United Nations General Assembly has given overwhelming approval to an Arab League plan calling on Syrian President Bashar al Assad to step aside. A non binding resolution received 137 votes in favour, with 12 against and 17 abstentions.
Following the vote, the US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice said the Syrian leader had “never been more isolated”.
However, Syria’s senior UN representative told diplomats there were “deep concerns about the real intentions of countries who have sponsored the draft”.
Ambassador Bashar Ja’afari told other officials he was particularly worried about “these countries who are leading a political and media aggression against Syria”.
Once again Russia and China opposed the resolution.
The Arab League’s proposals are aimed at halting Syria’s 11-month crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators. Damascus brands them foreign- backed terrorists.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 11:55 CET Labour Party hires Obama strategist for 2015 poll
- 11:42 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 11:26 CET South Korea ferry captain rushed back to bridge as ship…
- 10:40 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide