The United Nations General Assembly has given overwhelming approval to an Arab League plan calling on Syrian President Bashar al Assad to step aside. A non binding resolution received 137 votes in favour, with 12 against and 17 abstentions.
Following the vote, the US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice said the Syrian leader had “never been more isolated”.
However, Syria’s senior UN representative told diplomats there were “deep concerns about the real intentions of countries who have sponsored the draft”.
Ambassador Bashar Ja’afari told other officials he was particularly worried about “these countries who are leading a political and media aggression against Syria”.
Once again Russia and China opposed the resolution.
The Arab League’s proposals are aimed at halting Syria’s 11-month crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators. Damascus brands them foreign- backed terrorists.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 18:48 CET John Nash, mathematician who inspired ‘A Beautiful Mind’, killed…
- 18:30 CET U.S., allies conduct 17 airstrikes against Islamic State in Syria…
- 17:26 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake strikes north of Tonga – USGS
- 16:50 CET Swiss politician raises idea of new immigration vote
- 16:39 CET Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader Lopez says on hunger strike
- 16:36 CET Nepalese river blocked by landslide flowing again
- 16:28 CET Troubled new Berlin airport won’t be a white elephant, official…
- 15:57 CET Argentine election frontrunners nearly neck and neck – poll