Now Reading:

Honduras officials move hundreds of dead after prison fire

world news

Honduras officials move hundreds of dead after prison fire


More than 350 bodies are being removed from a jail in Honduras after one of the deadliest prison fires in history.

Police and soldiers are transporting them to the capital Tegucigalpa.

Believed to have been started by an inmate, who allegedly called authorities to warn them, the blaze tore through the complex on Tuesday night.

Distraught relatives gathered outside the facility to find out if one of their loved ones had been lucky enough to escape.

Rosa Maldonado’s thought her relatives had perished.

“I have lost people in my family. My son and nephew seem to have been in the fire. They could not leave their cells because the doors were locked,” she said.

Hugely overcrowded, more than 850 people were being housed in the complex. Many of them had not been convicted or even charged with a crime.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article