Company owners convicted of causing over 3,000 asbestos-related deaths in Italy say they will appeal the verdict.
In a court in the northern Italian city of Turin, the Swiss billionaire former owner of Eternit, Stephan Schmidheiny, was found guilty of negligence and sentenced to 16 years in prison even though he did not appear.
Public prosecutor for Turin Raffaele Guariniello was happy with the ruling: “This verdict gives us all the right to dream, not only in Italy, but all over the world. The right to dream about the fact that justice can be done and must be done,” Guariniello said.
Victims in other countries may feel some hope following the Italian verdict.
The court handed down the same 16 year sentence to a Belgian aristocrat – the now-bankrupt company’s largest shareholder.
Bruno Pesce coordinator of a victims’ group called ‘Vertenza Amianto’ said: “This is a big change. Even a very powerful person, or a very important person can cause thousands of deaths. Should we ignore it?”
Romana Blasotti Pavesi, president of the asbestos families victims association said: “We realise that it’s not over, there still are sick people and victims. The clearing has not been completed yet. The research is uncertain so we must go on.”
Eternit had employees at four plants in Italy, where they did unprotected work with asbestos until the 1980s.
The verdict in this Eternit trial paves the way for a second trial, the so-called “Eternit-2”. The panel in Turin has already begun working on it.
The defendants will be the same, but this new trial aims to hold them accountable for the more recent deaths caused by asbestos.
- 1Ukrainian separatist warlord dies in bomb blast
- 2Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 3At least 400 killed by ISIL in Palmyra – Syrian TV
- 4Russia introduces a new law against “undesirable” NGOs
- 5Poland’s Komorowski concedes defeat to rival Duda in presidential poll
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 14:55 CET Tunisian soldier shot dead after opening fire on colleagues…
- 14:33 CET Greece wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently
- 14:20 CET Rights groups slam Myanmar birth law as anti-Muslim
- 13:35 CET Ex-Israeli PM Olmert sentenced to more jail time for corruption
- 12:27 CET Polish opposition cheers presidential vote win, markets uneasy
- 12:23 CET U.N. urges Lebanon to pick president, end political vacuum
- 12:05 CET About 100 U.S., European jets join Arctic exercise near Russia
- 12:01 CET Taliban truck bomb hits government offices in southern…