The idea of a North African economic bloc emulating the EU has been revived during a meeting between the Tunisian and Algerian leaders.
President Abdeliziz Bouteflika was hosting his Tunisian counterpart at the end of his tour to convince other regional leaders of the merits of the proposed Arab Maghreb Union.
Moncef Marzouki wants to forge ahead with the planned bloc, which was formed in 1989 but never implemented, mainly because of disagreements between Algeria and Morocco over disputed Western Sahara.
Marzouki believes the Arab Spring has breathed new life into the idea.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 3Missouri execution of death-row inmate Michael Taylor ‘flawed’
- 4Protests mark the first anniversary of the Bangladesh clothing factory tragedy
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 02:04 CET Obama to use Japan visit to reassure Asian allies
- 02:00 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 01:26 CET Australia transport bureau says beach debris not from MH370
- 00:59 CET Pentagon dossier to detail secretive U.S. Afghan detainee policy
- 00:55 CET Ukraine revolt shows faces, but whose are the brains?
- 00:54 CET Exclusive – Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklist…
- 23:49 CET Colombia ICRC says peace may solve mystery of disappeared
- 23:20 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt