It is exactly a year since the fall of President Hosni Mubarak, but while people have gathered in Cairo’s Tahrir Square the huge Egyptian crowds of a year ago have not returned.
Impatience with the military rule is growing, and while many were there to celebrate the fall of a dictator, many were also there to criticise the army, who just a year ago had been praised for refusing to fire on civilians.
“We’d dub this day a ‘Celebration’ not an appeal for ‘civil disobedience’. Mubarak’s resigned, and everybody now feels comfortable. We got rid of Mubarak’s corruption,” said one man.
A particular target of popular anger is Marshal Tantawi. Protestors want Egypt’s de-facto ruler to bring forward presidential elections, not due until June.
Already crowds were gathered in the square last night for the anniversary, and shouting slogans against the army. One placard read: “You can carry on killing us, but we’ll continue to ask the army to go.”
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
EU Commission to call for visa-free travel for Turks
Australia votes on July 2 after PM Turnbull calls election
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Wires > News
- 11:42 CET Islamic State seeks news blackout in Mosul as Iraqi army nears
- 11:39 CET Turkey on verge of completing EU visa deal work – minister
- 11:38 CET Kremlin – Putin-Abe meeting unlikely to result in serious progress…
- 11:32 CET Croatia outlaws the rubber stamp in red-tape crackdown
- 11:31 CET North Korea hails anti-smoking progress; leader Kim keeps puffing
- 11:25 CET U.S. gathers allies on next steps in Islamic State fight
- 11:12 CET Russia to add three new military divisions to counter NATO -…
- 10:59 CET Islamic State must be pushed back in northern Syria – Turkish…